Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Eric Sheffer Stevens Interview, Part Four

In which I ask a lot of random, silly questions, and he is infinitely patient with me.

If you weren’t an actor, what do you think you would you be doing?

Carpentry. Well, I am doing carpentry. Is that a fair answer? I have a dream, still, of just having a farm somewhere and a shop in the barn, and building stuff. I kind of think I would go crazy at some point, but that’s my go-to thing. I have to be doing both of those things. So if you took acting away, that’s all I would be doing.

What position did you play in the Broadway Show League?

(long, drawn out silence.)

The softball…?

Oh! I’m shortstop. “What position…? In a Broadway show…? Oh, league.”

As The World Turns. Julie and Julia. Pizza Hut. Oikos Yogurt. The world wants to know. Do any of your characters not eat?

(Laughter) I don’t think the guy in Teenage Daughter ate. Did he?

We were trying to remember that. We know he was looking for Pop-Tarts at one point.

Oh, but he was high. That’s not fair. Someone who eats all the time sober.

Yes, there’s tons of characters that don’t eat, I’m sure. I don’t eat all that much.

So it’s an acting choice, then.

Yeah. I’m starving right now, now that you’re talking about it.

Any TV shows that you’re watching this season?

No.

Any favorite songs?

Music-wise, I’m fed mostly from that radio station in Seattle, KEXP. That’s what I listen to most of the time. I bought the new Arcade Fire but haven’t listened to it yet. I don’t know if that’s helpful.

(We discuss my middle child’s first audition experience.)

Our kids are away from it. If they, on their own, show an interest, you don’t want to squash that. But you also don’t want to be driving your kid around to auditions all the time when they’re young. If they can wait until college it’s probably for the best.

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk again. Do you realize it’s been three years to the month since the last time we talked?

That doesn’t even make any sense.

I know!

How can it be?

It was November of 2010.

No.

Well, I saw you at the filming, but the last interview we did was in 2010.

(Sounds dubious) Right...

Was that when I was doing the show? As The World Turns? Or was the show over?

The show was over. It finished airing in September of that year. So it was a couple of months after it finished airing.

 Wow, I think I must have lost a year somewhere.

I’m sure I did. I have three kids and every time I turn around they’re taller.

That’ll do it. That takes some brain cells away.

So mark your calendar for 2016. We’ll chat again.
***

There you have it! Hope you've enjoyed the series. And don't forget to watch Eric in Elementary this Thursday - or to sponsor his team for The Race to Deliver!

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Great questions! Ha, I misunderstood the softball one as well. Three years?! Thanks for sharing.
xoxo Jenny

Maia Strong said...

I certainly hope it won't really be a whole three years before you interview him again! :)

~Maia

Carol said...

Loved the whole interview - and also hope that we don't have to wait three long years before the next one!

Carol

ltklo said...

Geez, he certainly can give short answers sometimes. LOL!

3 years since he was Dr. Oliver. Wow!

Thanks for the interview!