Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Eric Sheffer Stevens Interview, Part Two

Interview With Eric Sheffer Stevens, Part Two

In Which We Discuss Los Angeles and I Hate My Teenage Daughter

So, I’m guessing you’re back in New York now. How long were you in LA?

A year. We had a lease on our place, and we ended up staying through the end of our lease. We would have come back sooner if we didn’t have the lease. Once we found out Teenage Daughter was done, I was dying to get back home. But we just couldn’t.

It was nice. It was a really nice chapter. We loved it there, but not enough to stay there. We were really excited to get back to New York. And then we were here, and missed the ocean and the mountains and all that. But not enough to move there.

But visiting’s good.

Right. Visiting’s much better.                                                       

So the whole family did move with you - you didn’t do the commuter marriage thing?

No, we all went out. It was great. Put the kids in school there, they loved it – you know, when kids are young they make friends easily – and they just thought it was a great adventure. And then they were excited to come back and go to their old school here. So it was really nice. It worked out well.

What was it like working on a sitcom?
We had *fun*. I would have liked for that to have gone on longer. We had a great time together. It’s a really great group of people. We all hung out together, went to each other’s places, I’m still in touch with all of them. And I stay with them when I go out to LA.

And it was really fun performing it live. It’s really just an easy schedule. It’s the easiest of the schedules. Because it’s one twenty-five minute segment every week. There was a table read on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were I think just 9:30 to 2:00 to rehearse, then you get the weekend off. Mondays and Tuesdays were longer days, but that was it. You could drop the kids off at school and be done before they were done with school. Three of the five school days. That’s pretty dreamy.

It was just fun! I loved that character, I loved the material, really really good writers, and, you know, for a bunch of reasons it  just didn’t work out. But I loved doing it.

Well, we enjoyed watching it.

Thank you. That’s nice.

And, uh, as you know, some of the episodes didn’t air here in the US. But they did overseas, and there are some fans who are very resourceful.

Yeah, I know! People sent me links and I got to see them. *I* didn’t get to see them until they aired in wherever. New Zealand or something. I don’t know where it was.

Well, I’m glad you got to see them, then. I always thought it was sad – if they’re going to put the time and effort and money into filming, why not at least show them?

Yeah, they’re business decisions. I don’t waste my time trying to understand them. (Laughs)

So, if you had an opportunity for another sitcom someday, you’d be interested in that?

Oh, sure! I don’t think there’s anything I’d say that I wouldn’t do. 

LINKS TO:

2 comments:

ltklo said...

ESS did look like he was having fun with the Teenager Daughter role.

Thanks for Part 2.

Carol said...

I'm glad to hear that he loved doing IHMTD and that he still comes out here to LA to visit. I wonder if any of the three TV guest spots he's now filming are here? Did he say?

And I believe Jenny is working on some writing projects with Jamie - did he mention anything about that? I'm so glad his kids enjoyed their year here!

Love your interviews! looking forward to the next!!